Here is a list of the elected positions within Legislative District 17 for the 2020 – 2022 term. For more information about the organization structure, see the following documents:
LD 17 Executive Board
The elected officers of the Legislative District 17 Executive Board are Chair, First Vice Chair, Second Vice Chair, Secretary, and Treasurer. The Secretary and Treasurer can be the same person. The composition of the Board is outlined in the Maricopa County Democratic Party Bylaws, Article V.
The duties of the Chair shall include but not be limited to:
- Lead LD 17 on behalf of the Democratic Party and its candidates. This includes holding LD 17 meetings at least every other month in off election years and once each month during election years.
- Attend all Executive Committee meetings called by MCDP Chair.
- Organize and promote voter registration drives within LD 17.
- Encourage financial support of the Democratic Party and participation in MCDP committees and activities.
- Hold LD 17 Executive Board meetings to set LD 17 goals and priorities.
First and Second Vice Chair
The duties of the First and Second Vice Chairs shall include but not be limited to:
- Assist the Chair in the performance of his/her duties.
- The First Vice Chair shall act as Chair if the Chair is absent.
- The Second Vice Chair shall act as Chair if both the Chair and the First Vice Chair are absent.
- Both Vice Chairs will perform such other duties as may be assigned by the LD 17 Chair.
The duties of the Secretary shall include but not be limited to:
- Record and archive minutes of all meetings of LD 17 and its Executive Board.
- Distribute the minutes of the meetings.
- Keep records of the LD 17 organization, including the names of all precinct captains, PCs, and other party volunteers.
The duties of the Treasurer shall include but not be limited to:
- Receive and deposits all monies of the District.
- Disburse the funds of LD 17 and keep a record of all receipts and disbursements for the purposes of filing a monthly written report of these transactions to membership of LD 17.
- Register LD 17 as a continuing political organization and prepare and submit the required financial reports to the Arizona Secretary of State.
State Committeepersons are a delegation to the State Committee of ADP consisting of the number of PCs from Legislative LD 17 as prescribed by statute. Committeepersons represent LD 17 as voting members at all Arizona Democratic Party Conferences, which are held three times a year in various locations around the State. Attendance is a requirement unless you appoint a proxy. Due to COVID-19, it is expected that upcoming Conventions will continue to be online.
A more detailed description of the State Committee is outlined in the Arizona Democratic Party Bylaws, Article II.
The duties of a State Committeeperson shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Canvass and campaign only on behalf of Democratic candidates.
- Assist in registration programs and in turning out a maximum Democratic vote.
- Support the ADP as well as his/her County and Legislative District Committees.
- Encourage financial support of the ADP, his/her County and Legislative District Committees.
- Protect and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States and the State of Arizona.